First SAF transatlantic flight for Virgin Atlantic
The first transatlantic flight powered by ‘Sustainable Aviation Fuel’ (SAF) is set to take off today at 11:30 from London Heathrow to JFK, New York.
Virgin Atlantic Flight100 aims to confirm the safety of using SAF as a drop-in replacement for oil-derived kerosene or jet fuel.
SAF is made from sustainable sources such as agricultural waste and used cooking oils. Flight100 uses two types of SAF, with 88% derived from HEFA (Hydroprocessed Esters and Fatty Acids) and the remaining 12% Synthetic Aromatic Kerosene (SAK).
Virgin Atlantic chief executive Shai Weiss said: “SAF can be used as a safe, drop-in replacement for fossil-derived jet fuel and it’s the only viable solution for decarbonising long-haul aviation”
“We’re proud to have reached this important milestone, but we need to push further. There is simply not enough SAF and to reach production at scale we need to see significantly more investment.”
The excitement surrounding Flight100 underscores the collective industry effort to redefine aviation's environmental impact. This pioneering flight signals a new era, where sustainability takes precedence in shaping the future of air travel.
At Diversity Travel, we pride ourselves on championing sustainability, and playing a prominent role in the conversation around climate change. We empower our clients in the sectors we serve to align with their own sustainability goals, and Flight100 serves as an example of the possibilities for sustainable air travel.
As the travel industry continues to evolve, sustainability will remain a central focus. Through continued innovation and collaboration, the travel industry has the potential to drastically reduce its impact on the environment, and promote greener travel. Diversity Travel remains steadfast in its mission to advocate for support initiatives such as Flight100, as they herald in a new era of responsible travel.